The following paracord necklace instructions will teach you how to make beautiful paracord necklaces.
Paracord necklaces have an edge over paracord bracelets when it comes to survival purposes, since they store more cord.
The designs i have chosen to feature are some of the easiest to make out of all the paracord creations and surprisingly, one of the most attractive ones.
The designs you will see further down the page are all variations of a four strand braid.
We will look at the following necklace designs:
- two color braid
- three color braid
- a spiral braid
For making a paracord necklace you will need the following:
– Paracord 550, in my case I used two 4 feet and 3 inches long cords
– A heat source, a lighter for example
– A bead to make the necklace easier to put on and off
– Optionally a charm to decorate your necklace
Tips on making paracord necklaces
- tighten knots firmly, this will give it a clean look
- do not panic if you lose track of which cords you used last. Check which ones are at the bottom, then use the other ones
- use a bead, a necklace connector or a decorative knot to finish your necklace
- secure the initial loop to a jig, a nail in a plank or a door knob so it is does not move. This can help you work faster and save some frustration
How to make a four strand braided necklace
The common braided necklace looks especially appealing when made from vivid paracord.
If you prefer video, try this tutorial by J.D.Lenzen:
How to make a three color braided necklace
The three color braided necklace is made the same way we created the “normal” braided necklace, but we joined two half length cords with melting to form a single cord.
How to make a four strand spiral braided necklace
Quite long name we have given this necklace, huh? A four strand spiral braided necklace!
The four strand spiral braid is done with exactly the same method of alternating stings that we use in any other four strand braided necklace, the only difference is that we start with two cords of the same color on one side, two cords of the other color on the other. If we compare further, we notice that we knot two different colors of cords, unlike with the “normal” braided necklace, where we knot using the same color of cord.
Paracord necklace supplies
This is a useful item for completing necklaces.
Charms help you personalize your necklaces. There are some fun ones in the kit i feature below.
Beads are a common way to add some variety to necklaces. The following beads are my selection.